Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Jonathan Arnott MEP On Crime.

Where do I stand? Crime.
This is the third in my series of posts setting out my personal political positions. If you're going to be voting in the UKIP leadership election, you deserve to know what I believe.
My dad was a Chairman of Magistrates; before him, my grandfather was a policeman. I've always understood the need for law and order, and let's be blunt here. It's the working classes who suffer the most as victims of crime. If you look at any crime map you'll see that link for yourself. Perhaps that's why the Labour 'Islington elite' don't seem to recognise how real the problem of crime is: it doesn't affect them to the extent that it impacts on their constituents.
UKIP has to be the Party which will stand for a no-nonsense, tough approach to crime. I'm all for rehabilitation, but it works best as part of a 'carrot and stick' approach: the carrot is much more appealing if the alternative is the stick.
Not enough space in British prisons? Answer: build more prisons.
On a really personal level I'm sick of the number of people committing horrific crimes against animals and escaping jail. Those who torture defenceless animals to death (just how depraved do you have to be to video yourself doing something like that?) should be jailed. Part of the problem is that the maximum sentences are woefully low. The law needs changing.
Criminals often have records of dozens of offences, sometimes even a hundred or more, before they are ever sent to jail. They're already hardened criminals before they go to prison, so what do we expect is going to happen when they're finally jailed? If we intervene earlier, with a short but tough prison sentence at a much earlier stage - and then provide the rehabilitation and support that's needed - criminals will know that a life of crime isn't in their best interests.

Please Pardon My Smirk.

  https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1883189/BBC-interview-climate-change-Guyana-viral